TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Review
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Review
- Annual Cost
- Earn Rate
- Perks and Rewards
- Customer Service
TD Aeroplan Review Summary:
Our editorial team’s Best Aeroplan Card for 2022, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite is an excellent card for Aeroplan point collectors. We appreciate the welcome bonus and perks along with the card’s excellent earn rate and travel insurance. If you’re in the market for an Aeroplan card, make sure this excellent all-rounder is on your list.
- Generous welcome bonus (up to 20k free points)
- Good earn rate
- Travel insurance coverage
- Perks and benefits
- Best overall Aeroplan card in Canada
- $139 annual fee
- Aeroplan points aren’t as flexible as some other travel points programs
Recipient of multiple 2021 credit card awards, including our own Best Aeroplan Card prize, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite is widely recognized as a top travel credit card. Our TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite review breaks down what makes this card so good, as well as how it compares to one of its closest competitors.
Aeroplan is Air Canada’s signature loyalty program, allowing members to use their points to book travel on Air Canada and other Star Alliance airlines. Members booking with Air Canada have no seat or flight restrictions, and no cash surcharges on flight rewards.
Collectors can earn points by presenting their Aeroplan number at any one of 150+ Aeroplan partner stores—but an Aeroplan credit card like the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite expands points earning capacity, allowing collectors to earn points no matter where they shop. Cardholders can double their earn rate at Aeroplan partner stores by paying with their TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card and presenting their Aeroplan number as well.
So, how does the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite really stack up against the competition and why did we give it our Best Aeroplan Card award? Let’s break it down.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Review: The Numbers
Annual Fee: $139 ($75 per additional card)
Minimum Income: $60,000 personal or $100,000 household
Interest Rate: 19.99% on purchases, 22.99% on cash advances
Earn Rate: The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite has a good earn rate, including accelerated earning (1.5 points per dollar) on eligible gas, grocery, and Air Canada purchases. The base earn rate on all other purchases is 1 point per dollar spent.
Cardholders can earn double the points by paying with their card and providing their Aeroplan number at Aeroplan partner stores.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Welcome Bonus:
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite has one of the most generous welcome bonuses in this category, offering new customers up to 20,000 Aeroplan points, plus a Buddy Pass, as well as waiving the annual fee for the first year:
- 10,000 points for opening a TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card account and making a purchase before March 6, 2022
- A second 10,000 points plus a Buddy Pass for spending $1,000 in net purchases within the first 90 days. A Buddy Pass allows a person booking an economy flight anywhere in North America to book a second ticket and only pay the taxes and fees, not the base fare. It amounts to a major discount on travel for two, particularly if you’re in, say, Nova Scotia and planning a trip to California or Hawaii.
- The first annual fee is rebated for the main cardholder and up to 3 additional cards if they open the card by March 7, 2022 and make their first purchase on the account within 90 days.
Note: Up until May 30, 2021, TD offered an additional 10,000 points for new cardholders who also opened a new TD Unlimited Chequing Account or TD All-Inclusive Banking Plan. While this offer was no longer valid at the time of writing this article, be sure to check TD’s website to see if it is when you’re doing your research.
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite offers comprehensive travel insurance including:
- Up to $1 million of travel medical insurance
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Flight/Trip delay insurance
- Delayed and lost baggage insurance
- Common carrier travel accident insurance
- Hotel/motel burglary insurance· Auto rental collision/loss damage insurance.
Perks and Benefits
TD offers its Aeroplan Visa Infinite cardholders some excellent perks. This includes:
- First checked bag free on trips that originate with Air Canada flights
- A Nexus application fee rebate up to $100 every 48 months
- 1.5 bonus Aeroplan points for each $1 spent at Starbucks (at participating locations)
- 10% off Avis and Budget car rentals in the US and Canada (5% off internationally)
- Purchase security (eligible new items purchased on the card are covered against theft or damage for 90 days)
- Extended warranty (if a purchased item comes with a manufacturer’s warranty, you may be eligible to double the warranty period up to 12 months).
TD also offers cardholders exclusive Visa Infinite perks including:
- Visa Infinite Concierge Service
- Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection
- Visa Infinite Dining Series
- Visa Infinite Wine Country
- Visa Infinite Entertainment Access· Visa Infinite Troon Golf
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card vs. CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
For our TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite review, our editorial team put TD’s card up against another close competitor, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite. These cards are remarkably similar, with the same annual fees, interest rates, earn rates, and required minimum income.
Both cards offer a welcome bonus of up to 20,000 Aeroplan points and a Buddy Pass for new cardholders. We’re big fans of generous welcome bonuses, and this one could cover two short-to-medium haul domestic flights, depending on your destination. Again, keep an eye on TD’s welcome bonuses because they have recently offered even more points to new cardholders.
Both cards offer to waive the first year’s fee, but upon closer review, the two offers are actually quite different:
- TD will waive the first year’s fee for not only the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite cardholder, but also three additional cardholders.
- In order to receive this rebate, you must simply open the card, add the other cardholders, and make a purchase before March 7, 2022.
Meanwhile, new CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite cardholders must have a CIBC Smart Plus account in order to qualify for their rebate, and CIBC only offers to rebate the main cardholder’s fee of $139.
In terms of travel insurance, TD and CIBC have put together similar packages, offering equal amounts of:
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Common carrier travel accident insurance
- Hotel/motel burglary insurance
- Auto rental loss/collision/damage insurance
However, there are a few differences worth noting:
- TD offers more generous trip interruption insurance ($5,000 per person to a maximum of $25,000) and delayed/lost baggage insurance (up to $1,000 per person).
- CIBC offers significantly more emergency medical coverage ($5 million as opposed to $1 million), but they offer it for less total time (15 days instead of TD’s 21-day coverage).
- Travellers 65 and over receive emergency medical coverage for 4 days with TD and 3 days with CIBC, neither of which makes them an industry leader.
In the end, we feel that TD comes out slightly on top in this contest, although we would like to emphasize that CIBC’s coverage is also excellent.
In terms of other perks, these two cards share many of the same or similar perks, but in our books, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite comes out on top:
- TD’s rental car discount offer is less robust than CIBC’s, but they offer it at more than one car rental company, which allows for more flexibility.
- TD offers cardholders a Nexus application fee rebate up to $100 every 48 months.
- TD currently offers 1.5 points per dollar spent at participating Starbucks locations. If you buy as much coffee as some members of our editorial team do, this could really add up.
Whichever of these two cards you choose, you’ll be getting a quality card with a solid earn rate, plus good perks and insurance, so let your own preferences guide you—we prefer the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite, but we appreciate what CIBC has to offer and we won’t judge you if you sway the other way (we promise).
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Review: Research Always Pays Off
When we reviewed the best travel cards on offer for 2022, we gave the Best Aeroplan Card prize to the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite because of its earn rate, perks, and one of the best welcome bonuses on offer. However, just because it was the best to us, that doesn’t guarantee that it will be the best for you. Make sure you investigate all the options before you decide.
Look at your own situation and preferences. Take some time to figure out what you want most from an Aeroplan credit card and then look at the options to see which one best fits your needs. You can see from the previous section that there are excellent and very similar options available. The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite is a great choice for people who are looking for an Aeroplan card—but is it the best choice for you? Only you can make that call.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite FAQ
How to apply for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite
Personal Requirements: You can apply for this card if you are a Canadian resident who has reached the age of majority in your province/territory of residence.
Required Minimum Income: $60,000 personal annual income, or $100,000 household income
Predicted Credit Score Requirement: 760-900 (Good to Excellent)
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Review: Final Verdict
It will come as no surprise that the verdict for our TD Aeroplan Visa review is overwhelmingly positive. After all, it’s the card we declared Best Aeroplan Visa for 2022—it would be strange if we didn’t think it was good!
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite boasts a great earn rate for Aeroplan cards, with bonus earnings on gas, groceries, travel and Starbucks purchases. It has solid perks, comprehensive travel insurance, and a generous welcome bonus. If you’re looking for an Aeroplan credit card, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite should be on your short list.