At the beginning of 2009, a group of bloggers thought it would be a good idea to have a stock picking competition and have quarterly updates.
Here were my picks at the beginning of the year
My 4 Stock Picks
- Hanfeng Evergreen (HF.TO) – This company creates high yielding fertilizer for the Chinese market. I’ve been watching this stock for a couple years now and it seems to be oversold relative to their (profitable) earnings. This stock has the possibility of making a comeback providing that the Chinese market makes a partial recovery. If the markets don’t cooperate in 2009, then this stock could go down even further. Price as of closing Dec 31, 2008: $5.63
- Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) – Now that I have my exciting stock out of the way, time to go to the boring large cap stuff. Johnson and Johnson manufactures ’staple’ items like Tylenol, Johnson baby products, band aid, Listerine and other popular skin care products. Even in a recession, I believe that people will continue to buy these products. JNJ also offers a sustainable dividend at an attractive yield. Price as of closing Dec 31, 2008: $59.83
- Husky Energy (HSE.TO) – This is my pick for some energy sector exposure. Even though the potential global recession throughout 2009 could keep oil prices depressed, I like Husky Energy’s oil properties and their profitability. Their dividend doesn’t hurt either. Price as of closing Dec 31, 2008: $30.87
- Power Financial (PWF.TO) – This holding company has large positions in IGM Financial, Great West Life, Canada Life and London Life. It offers a generous sustainable dividend and I believe that this stock has been irrationally oversold. Hopefully PWF will recover in 2009. Price as of closing Dec 31, 2008: $23.90
Here were the results during the last update:
|4||Million Dollar Journey ||-2.96%|
Here is the most recent update:
- Four Pillars 48.83%
- Intelligent Speculator 43.32%
- The Wild Investor 41.45%
- Where does all my money go 28.72%
- The Financial Blogger 13.29%
- Million Dollar Journey 4.76%
- Dividend Growth Investor 0.70%
- Zach Stocks -3.09%
- My Traders Journal -11.36%
- S & P 500 +3.16%
My picks are slightly beating the S&P500, but lagging most of my fellow colleagues. For those of you who had your own picks in the original article, how did you do?
I've Completed My Million Dollar Journey. Let Me Guide You Through Yours!
Sign up below to get a copy of our free eBook: Can I Retire Yet?