It’s the end of month financial checkup! Lets see, where do we start?
On the income front, my wife finally started getting her maternity benefits along with the monthly UCCB payments. Even though the benefits are much less than her regular paycheck, they help take some of the pressure off.
On the expense side of things, we didn’t make any major purchases but made many.. many smaller purchases for the baby. So much so that I am now on a first name basis with the Walmart greeter. … sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name …
Onto the markets, what is going on with the Canadian market? All time high? Wasn’t it just a couple months ago when we were all predicting doom and gloom with pending recession along with sub prime this and that? Has that all gone away? Seems that investors are confident in the Canadian market place, and it shows with the amount of money pouring into stocks like RIM and Oil & Gas Companies.
One more thing, you may notice a large drop in the mortgage balance. After all the talk in the Manulife One thread, it motivated me to take some of my savings ($15k) and dump it onto my mortgage debt. I don’t know why, but having a lot of cash around gives me a sense of security. Sometimes, however, the “feeling” of security isn’t the most efficient way to use the money.
Enough rambling, here are the numbers:
Assets: $574,450 (-1.13%)
- Cash: $4,500 (+0.00%)
- Savings: $26,800 (-27.57%)
- Registered/Retirement Investment Account: $55,200 (+5.14%)
- Pension: $ 22,350 (+0.00%)
- Non-Registered Investment Account: $19,200 (+4.92%)
- Smith Manoeuvre Investment Account: $25,400 (+0.40%)
- Investment Property: $ 124,500 (+0.00%)
- Principle Residence: $275,000 (+0.00%) (purchase price)
- Vehicles: $15,000 (2 vehicles) (-0.00%)
Liabilities: $263,820 (-5.62%)
- Investment Property Mortgage: $93,500 (-0.21%)
- Principle Residence Mortgage (readvanceable): $137,100 (-10.22%)
- HELOC balance: $25,220 (+0.40%)
- Other Liabilities: $8,000 (-0.00%)
Total Net Worth: ~$ 304,130 (+3.12%)
Started 2008 with Net Worth: $279,300
Year to Date Gain/Loss: +8.89%
Interested in seeing how my net worth has progressed up to this point? Check out my history of net worth updates.