By now, everyone has heard about the popular book/movie "The Secret". But what is "The Secret"? The Secret is basically a gimmicky word for "The Law of Attraction".
Still confused? What if I told you that you can have anything you want by just thinking about it? That's what "The Secret" wants you to believe.
The movie/book includes a bunch of snippets from "experts" on the subject of the "law of attraction". I liked most of the guest speakers/writers, except later I find out that one of them is a suspected con artist (the parking space guy). After I read about that, the credibility of "The Secret" was reduced in my eyes.
Main points made by the book/movie:
- You can manifest anything you desire by thinking about it.
- Providing that you "feel good" while thinking about the object of desire, you can manifest it.
What I liked?
- I like the idea of positive thinking bringing about positive events as I try to live my own life this way.
- I enjoyed the technique of regularly showing gratitude for the things that you have in your life as it evokes positive emotions.
What I didn’t like?
- They commercialized a very simple concept that has been taught for years.
- The movie isn't clear on what "exactly" you have to do to manifest your desires. It seems a bit choppy where you have to watch it a couple times to piece it all together.
- I don't believe that your desires will materialize without action.
- When I first watched/read "The Secret", I had to watch it a second time to try to get what they were saying. I wouldn't recommend this book as a source for the "law of attraction" as it has a gimmicky feel and doesn't provide concrete steps on how to maximize the technique.
- A better way to learn about the law of attraction is with the older books, "The Science of Getting Rich" (free), "As a Man Thinketh" (free), or even "Think and Grow Rich" (not free).
Did you see the movie or read the book? What did you think?