It's that time of year that everyone is scampering around the stores and malls hoping to finish up their Christmas Shopping. I was at Costco last Saturday and not only did I have a hard time finding a shopping cart, the cart didn't have any space to move with all the people jam packed in the giant store. The sheer frustration of that experience is what inspired me to write this post.
Since most people do their shopping at the last minute, here are some ways to beat the rush:
- Do your shopping early. Start your shopping in Oct and November instead of waiting until the middle of December (guilty as charged).
- If you need to do your shopping in mid-late December, go to the stores after work during supper hour (6pm-8pm). That's when I find stores to be the quietest as normal people are home (or heading home) with their families having supper.
- Avoid shopping on Saturdays as much as possible. This is a lesson that I keep learning over and over. In my defense, the samples are best at Costco on Saturdays. :)
- Do your shopping online. I find books, DVDs and gift cards to be great gifts. All of which can be purchased (and delivered) from the comfort of your own home.
- Practice the art of the re-gift. I got this idea from a reader last year. We all get gifts from aunts and uncles that you probably will never use. If you receive the item before Christmas, why not repackage it and give it to someone who might use it?
What are your tips for Christmas shopping?